There are some things I find it really easy to write about. New apps, good books, or something silly that happened with my kids. But I find when it comes to stories like this, the word refuse to flow.
I read about Melissa White when I clicked on a Vancouver Province tweet. A local Langley Mom, Melissa died in March and left behind 3 kids under the age of 6. I can’t even imagine the pain they are going through. Sadder still is that she died of a horrible disease that normally only affects much older people, so at 30 years old her death from ALS and FTD was extremely rare.
There are fundraisers going on for Melissa’s family, so please read below on how you can help out. Anita McCarthy, the organizer, has pulled together some amazing prizes for the raffle and silent auction, so please buy a ticket either in person or online and show your support.
Fundraisers for Langley family show growing community support
Melissa White, a 30-year-old Mother of 3 from Langley, BC, died of a rare combination of ALS and FTD in March of this year. Through the fundraising efforts on behalf of a former neighbour, the community is rallying around the family to show support.
Langley, BC – It’s difficult enough to imagine the emotional strain a young family would endure when Mom is suddenly not there anymore, but when you top that off with the financial burden of suddenly raising children on your own? Its more than most of us could bear.
Melissa White, a 30-year-old Mother of 3, was diagnosed with ALS (also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease) and Frontotemporal Dementia (FTD), making her one of the youngest people in North America to be diagnosed with diseases that typically target people between the ages of 40 and 60. After a 13-month battle with the illness, Melissa died on March 2nd, 2012, leaving behind her husband and 3 children under the age of 6.
To ease the burden on the White family, Anita McCarthy, a former neighbour of the White’s, decided to pull the community together in an effort to raise funds for Melissa’s family. Anita has secured Corporate sponsors, prize donations, and pulled together fundraising events to support the family.
At this time, there are three ways to help the White family:
- The Melissa White Legacy Rafflepresented by the Rotary Club of Langley – Raffle tickets can be purchased with cash at the following locations (please see below for prize list):
- 1) PetroCanada – 200th Street & 72nd
- 2) Color Me Mine in Langley
- 3) Future Shop – Langley Bypass
- 4) Nestle Toll House Café – Guildford Town Center
- 5) Scotia McLeod – WhiteRock
- Or through email and bank transfer at
- Fintastics Cuts for Kids in Surrey (101-15905 Fraser Highway Surrey, BC V4N 0Y3. (604) 593-5150) is donating a portion of their proceeds to the White Family from May 26th to June 2nd, 2012.
- Melissa White Legacy Event and Auction: To be held on June 24th, 2012 at Burger & Brew at Fort Pub. This event is currently Sold Out, but those who cannot attend may still bid on Silent Auction donations by viewing Silent Auction items online starting June 10th, 2012 at: http://whitefamilytrustfund.weebly.com/silent-auction-items.html
As word spreads, there has been a growing media interest in Melissa and Jeremy’s story, including a story that made the front page of The Vancouver Province on May 28th, 2012. For further information on the Melissa White fundraisers, please contact Anita McCarthy directly at 778-552-4873 or:
Melissa White Legacy Event