Wondering How to get iTunes USA apps in Canada? Read on.
Anyone who has been on the USA iTunes store knows that iTunes USA apps are more plentiful than they are in the Canadian App Store. The prices seem to be level, but if you want access to more books for iBooks and just a wider range of cool, new apps, the US iTunes store is the place to be. Plus, you get access to all of the iTunes USA movies, so if you want to stream movies, TV shows, and kid’s cartoons (a must for staying sane), the US iTunes store has a great selection.
When you have a USA iTunes account, you can also sign up for Hulu Plus, which is definitely one way to remove cable from your life altogether. Check out my article on how to get Hulu in Canada.
If you want to create an app store account for the USA iTunes store but you live in Canada, all you have to do is follow these easy steps:
How to get iTunes USA apps in Canada
- Purchase a pre-paid Visa or Mastercard. You can find these at any Shopper’s Drug Mart, grocery store, 7-11, Macs and more. Most stores have a full rack of gift cards.
- Activate the Visa or Mastercard gift card, but when you register your information, use an address in the USA instead of your own Canadian address. Most people have relatives or friends in the USA, and if you ask them nicely, they won’t mind if you register your $20 Visa gift card to their house. Be sure to use a different email address than your current iTunes Canada email address.
- Download iTunes on your computer if you haven’t already. If you have it, log out of your current account and click ‘Register.’
- Register for a new iTunes account with the information and address you used on your Visa or Mastercard gift card.
- When prompted for your credit card, enter the numbers of your Visa or Mastercard gift card.
- Click Confirm, and wait for the confirmation email to your account.
That’s it! Once you have your iTunes USA account set up, you just need to enter that address and password on all of your devices including iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV. If you want to use it to sign up for Hulu Plus, you can register it to your iTunes account and they’ll deduct the fee from your iTunes balance every month.
How do you top up your iTunes account once you’ve set it up? Option one, you can keep purchasing Visa or Mastercard gift cards and changing your credit card in your iTunes account. Option Two, which is the method I choose, is to buy iTunes gift cards when in the USA. They come in $15, $25, or $50 denominations, and you can just buy them whenever. Just remember, any iTunes gift cards you buy in Canada will not work with the USA iTunes store. You have to buy your iTunes gift cards in the USA.
Have fun exploring the USA iTunes App store!